Walk around Burnham Market
Distance: Approx 5 miles
Time: 2 hours 30 minutes depending on pace
This Norfolk walk starts from Burnham Market village and continues via Burnham Overy Staithe and Burnham Overy Town.
1. Park in Burnham Market as close to the centre as you can. From the centre take Herrings Lane on the north side of the main street and walk uphill. Just over the crest of the hill the lane bends right and you should continue ahead on the signed footpath. This goes along the side of a field with a hedge on your left and leads down to the A149 main road (grid ref. TF830434). Cross the main road to the lane opposite and walk into the attractive village of Burnham Norton. Reaching a T-junction, turn right. Ignore the footpath on your left, instead continuing ahead on a clear signed footpath to Burnham Overy Staithe.
2. The path soon bears left across the marsh. Ahead you can see a fine windmill. After 400 metres you join the North Norfolk Coast Path which comes in from your left. Follow this path to a cross path (grid ref. TF835438). Turn left and continue to the waterfront in Burnham Overy Staithe. This was once an important port although today leisure boating dominates the scene.
3. Continue along the harbour side road and at the far end turn right up to the main road. Cross over and continue up Gong Lane. This climbs past houses to reach open country. The track starts to descend reaching a junction of paths and tracks (grid ref. TF847431). Turn right and walk towards Burnham Overy Town. Just before reaching a road, turn left in front of some cottages and enter the church yard. The church has an unusual design and is worth a visit. There are notes about its complex history and extensions available inside the church.
4. Leave the churchyard at the southern end on the opposite side from where you came in. Turn right along the main road (B1155). Stay on the A1155 as it turns sharp left and then sharp right to pass a large mill before crossing the River Burn. About 400 yards after the bridge take the lane on the right. This leads you past a school on the left with the interesting remains of St Mary's Carmelite Friary. There is an information board outside providing some historical details.
5. Retrace you steps along the lane. At the end of the school property take the narrow footpath on the right. This leads up to another lane. Turn right and ahead you will see an excellent example of a round tower church. A visit is recommended as the interior is wonderful. Alongside the southern boundary of the churchyard is a track. This is Cross Lane which should be followed to a T-junction with a road. You are now back on the outward route. Turn left and descend into Burnham Market.