Lifeboat's history

Lifeboat’s history

The Lifeboat Inn was originally a working farm and beer house. Renamed The Lifeboat Inn in the nineteenth century, it was run by the Sadler family from 1869 until the 1930s.

Nellie Sadler in front of The Lifeboat Inn
Nellie Sadler outside The Lifeboat Inn in about 1860.

The inn sign shows that The Lifeboat was selling Setch Ales in this early photograph. Setch Brewery dates back to 1767 and was owned by George Hogge & Co.

The Lifeboat Inn in 1920s
The Lifeboat Inn during the 1920s with the farm sheds opposite

Setch Brewery in Kings Lynn belonged to the Hogge family and was taken over by Bullards of Norwich in 1928.

The Lifeboat Inn in 1950s
The Lifeboat Inn in the 1950s, during the Bullard's era

Olive and Ossie Waterfield became landlords in 1950. They restyled the pub in the mid 1950s with furniture and artifacts bought from antique sales.

Olive and Ossie Waterfield
Olive and Ossie Waterfield, hosts at The Lifeboat Inn for many years


The rear of The Lifeboat Inn before development

Bench with pennies in the hole game at The Lifeboat
The bench with 'Pennies in the Hole'

'Pennies in the Hole' is now seldom played - the objective is to throw thirteen pennies into the hole without a miss, for the prize of a bottle of whisky. Long serving landlord Ossie Waterfield claimed he only saw it done once in his time.

 

References:

Thornham, a photographic history of a Norfolk village and its people
by John Warham, Peter Oliver and Pat Thompson

Thornham then and now
by John Warham

Share this Article